In this lesson, we’ll take a look at how Onset Data Acquisition fits into the VFX Pipeline and give a rundown of what we pack in our kit bag.
This lesson is an extract from our Onset Data Acquisition course, of which you can find out more about and enrol here:
A huge thanks to the fantastic team at Clear Angle Studios for providing all the kit and making this tutorial possible.
The VFX Pipeline and Onset Kit Overview
To start, let’s take a quick look at how Onset Data Acquisition fits into the filmmaking process and cover what I generally like to pack for onset work.
CAVE Camera Kit Breakdown
Throughout the course, I’ll be using the following kit. By no means do you need to have the exact kit as listed below but ideally, you would have something similar to practice with.
- Camera: Canon 5DS, Ricoh Theta Z1
- Lenses: 8mm fisheye, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 100mm (a zoom lens would also be useful 70 – 300mm for example)
- Remote shutter release
- Ninja nodal panoramic head (I use the Ninja Nodal 3 or 6)
- Manfrotto tripod (1 or more)
- 20cm grey and chrome reference balls
- Macbeth colour charts (1 x standard, 1 x passport)
- Slates (1x large, 1 x small)
- Tape measure
- Sekonic LiteMaster Pro
- Gaffer tape, lots of gaffer tape
- Notepads, lots of notepads
- 2 x softbox lights for travel (I have the following light kit and also this kit)
- In the studio, I have the following lights: Elinchrom rotolux, square and rectangular softboxes
- Rosco polarising filter for 2 x softbox lights
- Grey photo studio paper
Introduction to the Kit
Cameras and Lenses
The focus of this course is not to demonstrate how to process the data. However, we recommend at every stage to test the data you capture to ensure it is pipeline friendly. Just a quick note, some of these tools I do not use in production and are purely used for quickly assessing the data. Later on, we’ll cover in more detail our production processing workflow, which you’ll find under the Data Processing docs.
For more information on all things onset related, you can check out our courses here:
The Connection Programme
If you are a fan of mixing science with art, or maths with creative thinking, then join our Connection Programme, where we’ll be exploring VFX, animation and games from the core fundamentals:
Support CAVE Academy
Here at CAVE Academy the beauty of giving and sharing is very close to our hearts. With that spirit, we gladly provide Masterclasses, Dailies, the Wiki, and many high-quality assets free of charge. To enable the team to create and release more free content, you can support us here: Support CAVE Academy