Search the wiki
1. Overview of the Dorothy Handover Package – Tier 01
Dorothy Lighting Rig
Before we go into the details of the output data from Dorothy, here is some information on the cameras and the lighting used during the capture.
For our Dorothy system, we use a combination of high FPS mirrorless Sony cameras and Canon DSLRs. The output of data from these systems is to be used as follows:
- Sony Images (ARW): Texturing, look development and geometry line-up
- Canon Images (CR2): Texturing and geometry line-up.
Dorothy Lighting Sequence
Our systems are programmed to capture 19 different lighting states in under 1.3 seconds. Here is a breakdown of the fire sequences and additional information regarding the shoot timing:
- The initial fire from our systems captures cross-polarised textures of the subject which are also used to generate the assets geometry.
- The subsequent 18 shots after the initial fire of the system capture polarised, lookdev and unpolarised imagery of the subject in various forms. These particular images may not line up pixel perfectly with the initial geometry/texture alignment due to them being shot over 1.3 seconds and capturing any potential subject movement.
When you receive data from Clear Angle Studios for any Dorothy scan, the handover will include:
- Dorothy Standard Handover – this includes all the data relevant to the asset(s).
- Dorothy Reference Data* – this includes all the reference data for the shoot.
- Live Tracker – a Google or Excel spreadsheet providing information about each scan and related reference material.
*Please note that you will only be provided with one set of reference data (Macbeth, grey, chrome, empty plates, light maps, etc.) per system calibration.
All productions undertaken by Clear Angle Studios will be provided with a companion document for their project called a Live Tracker. This document will either be hosted on Google Sheets and updated in real time, or delivered in an offline Excel version weekly, depending on the requirements of the production.
The Live Tracker provides an overview of all capture to date across all applicable scan types (full body, props, lidar and/or Dorothy) and provides information about each and every scan. Critically it also includes a record of which reference set matches each scan, for every single scan. This information is essential to ensure that the correct reference set is matched to any scan being worked on.
For full body and Dorothy capture, reference sets are captured per rig setup and will be delivered in their entirety. For prop scans, a portion of the reference is captured per prop and delivered with each set of processed data (chrome ball, grey ball, Macbeth chart, empty slate) and the remainder is captured per setup and delivered as a separate package (HDRI, light maps, documentation, lidar scan of capture rig).
If any issues are encountered or any queries raised relating to reference data, Live Trackers, or anything related, please reach out to us directly via [email protected].
When doing so, please include the following information so that we can most quickly and effectively provide a solution:
- Production being worked on
- Name of vendor making query
- Specific name (and take if available) of scan(s) in question
- Outline/description of issue
Dorothy Standard Handover – Tier 01
This is the standard Dorothy handover package. Here you will find a directory for each of your selected scans.