Search the wiki
VFX Project Directory
Here is a zip file containing the basic folders that you can download and experiment with:
Windows 10 Path Length Limitation
If you are using Windows 10, you’ll find that there is a default 256 character path limitation. For the directory structure below, you’ll need more than 256 characters, so you’ll be able to enable long path names by doing the following:
Top Level Folders
All projects will live under the following directory path: …/CAVE/project/<PROJECT_NAME>
Please note, the top level project directory shold be capitalised (I do need to update some of the diagrams to reflect this).
Each project will contain the following top level folders to ensure referencing of data is easily maintained and managed throughout the project:
- asset: this directory will hold all asset related data (models, textures, rigs, etc.)
- development: for story scripts, visual development, dtoryboards and animatics. Please note, this is not for RnD development.
- general: for general and shared data, such as logos.
- IO: for all incoming data (client, onset, etc.) and outgoing data (data to be presented back to the client)
- pipeline: for tool scripts, colour info, pipeline tools, etc. Everything to keep the projects running in order.
- rnd: for any development work and testing.
- sequence: this directory will hold all sequence and shot related data (cameratracks, layout, animation, lighting, etc.). If episodes are required, please see diagram 2 below for a breakdown on how they should be managed.
If you are working on a TV show or anything that is episodic, then the addition of an /episode/<episodeName>/ directory should be added before the sequence. For example:
- VFX Asset Directory: Here you will find information on where we store asset data, both published and wip files.
Support CAVE Academy
Here at CAVE Academy the beauty of giving and sharing is very close to our hearts. With that spirit, we gladly provide Masterclasses, Dailies, the Wiki, and many high-quality assets free of charge. To enable the team to create and release more free content, you can support us here: Support CAVE Academy